Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Pillars of the Earth

I had heard a lot about this book and seen it in the stores. It just hadn't been high on my priority list. I was browsing my library and came across the second of the series. I read the back of that book and decided that perhaps it was time to read Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth.

The book is large. It covers a number of topics, but the main thrust of the novel is the building of a cathedral. The characters were interesting and intriguing. The struggle to fund the cathedral and then build it properly was fascinating to me. Follet explores many of the gritty aspects of life--abuses of the nobility, rape, greed, betrayal, and more are all part of this book. It may be too intense for some readers.

If you enjoy historical novels, this could be the book for you. If you like big books that cover many years and several characters, then you will enjoy this book. This is definitely a book for adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment