Friday, November 19, 2010

National Novel Writing Month Update Week 3

Yes, I am still writing for NaNoWriMo. I realize that my last post about NaNoWriMo was a bit gloomy. It wasn't really my intention to be negative. I am still working on the book, and it is progressing.

I won't be making it to 50,000 words. I have a greatly modified number of words that I am shooting for. I realize, after reading some of the "Pep talks" sent out by the NaNoWriMo website, that many people feel that the final count is what matters. But that was never really the entire point for me. I wanted to see what it was like, and what the hype was about.

I plan on attempting this project again in the future, with 50,000 words as a definite goal. But this time I was going for more of an experience. And I am definitely getting it.

What I've learned: I am not at a point in my life that a number goal of 1600 or so words a day makes sense. I am a homeschooling mom of four kids ages 3 to 12, and I can't take a month off to write at this point. I can actually fit anywhere from 500 to 1000 words into my schedule every day. I am pretty sure I could do this indefinitely. It would mean reading less, but I think I can do that. I have things that I want to write and I want to get them written and out into the world. I am glad that I attempted NaNoWriMo, and I am continuing to write the novel I started for the project. I'm learning a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment